COMANCHES IN THE 21st CENTURY
Though our airframes rolled out of the factory 30 to 44 years ago, many of our Comanches are being refurbished with advanced avionics and instrumentation, speed modifications, alterations of many kinds, new interiors, and new paint schemes
all of which will make them fit for service and increased utility well into the future.
COMANCHES ON THE FLY
Stories and photos of special Comanche flights are featured. These may be long-range transoceanic flights, cross country flights of any length, or flights of special interest to show the capabilities of our Comanches, the interesting places they fly, and the interesting activities for pilots and passengers upon arrival.
- Two Brothers, Four Days, and a Twin Comanche, by Todd La Neve
- Walla Walla 2003, by Hugh Crowe
- Macon Here We Come,by Omri Talmon
- Transatlantic Adventurers Stay In Touch
- My Longest Flight, 8 Hrs, 34 Min in a Comanche 250,by Mike Dolin
- Crossing the Atlantic in the Winter, by Holger Von Bulow
- SFO Trip Return, by Mike Dolin
- Mike Dolin's Recent Vacation to San Francisco, by Mike Dolin
- Photos From Pond Crossings, Holger von Bulow, Monica and Friedrich Rehkopf
LESSONS MY COMANCHE TAUGHT ME
Pilots share their experiences with out of the ordinary situations encountered in Comanches.
- Remedy for a Raleigh Runway Overshoot, by George Jones
- Fuel Transfer Trauma
Too Many Tanks, by Ben Ayalon
- Landing: Too Fast
Too Windy, by George Jones
- Thinking About Ice, by T.C. Johnson
- Ice is Not Just For Winter, by Glenn Plymate
- Night Flight on One Engine, by Jan Brill
- Getting High in a Comanche, by Glenn Plymate
- Vmc Upset, Twin Training in the Extreme, by Glenn Plymate
- Been There, Done That, by Joe Shelton
COMANCHE IDEA FACTORY
Innovative additions and alterations which enhance safety, improve efficiency, cure glitches, or make maintenance easier, are featured here.
COMANCHE TOY STORE
There are many small gadgets, instruments, and devices which are not part of the aircraft and do not require paperwork. These items can make flights safer, be more fun, less of a workload, and sometimes be an idea for nice gift for a pilot friend.
COMANCHE TECH TALK
Discussions on technical aspects of the operation and maintenance of our fleet.
- A small pin may cause major trouble, by Ben Ayalon <new>
- When a Steel Cable meets an Aluminum Tube, as told to Omri Talmon <new>
- Beginners Luck - Part Two, by John Trudel <new>
- Beginners Luck - Part One
- IFR In the Twin Comanche, Part One, by Ryan Ferguson
- Trim Tab Trauma, by Ben Ayalon
- After-Maintenance Inspection, by Thomas P. Turner, ABS
- Checklist Savvy,by TC Johnson
- Battery Box Drain Clamp, by Omri Talmon
- Critical Maintenance Items for Pilots, by Roy Sneedsby/Ken Holdsworth
- A Weak Link (Nose gear drag link),by Glenn Plymate
- Landing Gear Emergency, by Joe Shelton
- Corrosion Alert, by Dale Vandever
Articles about Comanche owners and pilots, and their special interests, activities, hobbies, honors, awards, promotions, families, etc. -- the things that richen our lives beyond owning our fantastic aircraft.
IT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN TO YOU, by Omri Talmon
Omri Talmon's monthly column on Comanche incidents and accidents will help you learn to avoid the mistakes of others. Each column shows the accidents for the preceding month and a detailed review of a selected case from a prior month.
- PA-24-250, Big Bear City, CA <new>
- PA-24-250, Camarillo, CA
- PA-24, Lamar, MO
- PA-24-250, Santa Paula, CA
- PA-24-250, Paris, ID
- PA-24-250, United Kingdom
- PA-24-180, Scapoose, OR
- PA-39, Fort Collins, CO
- PA-24-250, Bluffton, OH
Email from concerned readers with ideas, suggestions, corrections, questions, criticism, complaints, and compliments on comanchepilot.com articles.
Items of an urgent nature that affect Comanches and their operation, each posted as it occurs as a News Flash, and retained as a Comanche NOTAM.
- Severe Internal Stabilator Corrosion
- AC 91-74, Flight in Icing Conditions
- AD 2003-01-03, Hartzell Propellers
- Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin (SAIB), Lycoming Crankshaft Gear Retaining Bolt
- AD 2002-23-06, Lycoming Crankshaft Gear Retaining Bolt
- AD 2002-20-51, Lycoming Crankshaft Gear Retaining Bol